Invest in Locally-Owned Businesses
This saying has been around for a while and it makes good sense. When you support locally owned businesses, you help limit outsourcing and carbon footprints, and you help build community and interconnectedness.
Whenever you can, buy from your local businesses, restaurants and farmer’s markets (and don’t forget to bring your own bags!).
Here are some great reasons to spend your dollars locally from Sustainable Baby Steps:
- Small businesses are crucial to the local economy – any local economy. They represent a long-term stability in the community, and offer more stable jobs to well-qualified, knowledgeable workers than do corporations who send jobs overseas while your neighbor faces a layoff.
- Small businesses pay a living wage to happy employees, thus creating a lower turnover rate and building relationships with long-term customers.
- Locally-owned businesses are more likely to donate to community charities.
- Locally-owned businesses minimize urban sprawl. And they are more likely to support other locally-owned businesses. Since company owners live within the community, they care about the impact their business has on both the surrounding environment and society and conduct business is a responsible manner.
- Small businesses care more about your experience than your dollar. They understand their livelihood relies on our trust and they work to earn it and our referrals. This means they won’t sell us crap we don’t need and will provide us with honest feedback of a product.
- Think Global, Act Locally ensures a unique experience, far from the homogenized one offered from chain stores with the same layout and cookie cutter offerings.
- Buying locally means you have more opportunities to meet interesting people willing to chat amicably without looking at their watch and wishing for a lunch break.
- Supporting small businesses – whether within your own hometown or not – means supporting community, families, local economy, connection, creativity, entrepreneurship, independence, lower taxes, the environment, and our selves in a variety of ways.
We hope that you’re enjoying and trying out a few of our #30days2green tips. We only have ONE more day to go! If you like what we’re sharing please help us spread the word! Share our posts on your own social media and with your friends and family.
Help us spread the green! If you haven’t already…check out our other tips.
Please check back then or join us on Twitter. Share your own green tips and don’t forget the hashtag: #30days2green. Earth Day is right around the corner. Let’s take baby steps. Let’s sow seeds together. Let’s make a difference!
Annette Cain inspires others to care for their bodies and the earth. She is currently leading the “Plant a Tree Pose” movement to increase awareness about deforestation and raise money for planting trees worldwide.
Support our GREEN initiatives by joining our Plant a Tree Pose Movement Today!